Chiropractic care for infants and kids is safe, effective and can be an important part of your child’s life. Some kids are born into this world needing a little extra help, others need some help as they grow and develop. Our doctors can help parents determine what type of treatment is necessary as your kids mature.
Children should establish their chiropractic care history early in life. Just as pediatrician does a “well” check-up on your children at key milestones, so do Dr. Goodman & Dr. Buzek. Important bio-mechanical milestones include:
- Sitting Up
- Transitioning to Sports
- Sports Performance
How will I know if my child should see a chiropractor?
During the first few years kids should schedule well visits monthly or as milestones approach. However, if you see any of the following behavior, schedule an appointment sooner:
- Infant who has colic, acid reflux, trouble nursing, head tilt, trouble sleeping, severe irritability
- Baby who is crawling unconventionally – scooting or commando crawling
- Toddler who is increasingly clumsy or falls a lot
- Child who trampolines often
- Suspicion of scoliosis
- Any sporting or casual fall or injury
- Pediatrician recommendation of brace, orthotic, helmet or other device, we can offer a second opinion
We work closely with area pediatricians to maximize your child’s success with chiropractic care. There can be common, easy to treat biomechanical reasons that your child may be symptomatic which are supported by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Articles and support can be found at the AAP. Search ‘chiropractic’ for many articles and research.
- All newborns should be examined for spine nd cranial fixation that can develop in utero and from delivery (especially infants born via c-section or assisted/complicated birth)
- Common signs to look for include: persistent neck rotation, routine spitting up/vomiting, visible discomfort, difficulty sleeping, suspicion of colic, facial asymmetry, constipation, falls, injuries
- Regular wellness exams at physical milestones including (every 3-4 months)
- Rolling over, sitting up, pulling up, cruising, crawling, walking
- Babies should also be checked for symptoms including
- Abnormal crawling (scooting, etc), visible discomfort, side preference (nursing, sleeping, being held), suspicion or diagnosis of ear infection, persistent neck rotation, spitting up, relfux, constipation, falls, injuries
- Regular wellness exams every 2-3 months are recommended
- Toddlers should also be examined for the following symptoms: Delayed walking, feet pointing in or out, toe-walking, suspicion or diagnosis of ear infection, postural distortion, constipation, falls, injuries
Chiropractic Care Kids 4-11 Years
- Regular wellness exams every 2-3 months are recommended in
- Elementary Age Children should also be examined for the following symptoms:
- Back or neck pain, headaches, postural distortions, suspicion or diagnosis of scoliosis, growing pains, injuries, new sports, new school/backpack load
- Chiropractic adjustments in kids this age also help regulate symptoms related to their nervous system such as bed-wetting, attention, hyperactivity and more
Chiropractic Care Kids 12-18 Years
- Regular wellness exams every 1-2 months are recommended
- Middle and High School Students should also be examined for the following symptoms
- New sports, sports injuries, excessive trampoline use, menstruation, stomach pain, excessive gaming, postural distortions, injuries, growing pains
- Exam preparation, reducing stress during studying, reducing tension in neck and shoulders during CSAPs, SATs, etc.
- Many athletes are seeking chiropractic care for improved sports performance as early as middle school.